FAQs

Accessing InFuse

Using InFuse

Data issues

Who can access InFuse

To access InFuse you must be a member of staff or a student at a UK higher or further education establishment. People ouside of this community cannot access InFuse. You will login using your personal institutional username and password via the UK Federation. Access is completely free of charge.

I am not eligible to access InFuse, where else can I access UK Census data?

Only staff and students affiliated with UK higher or further education establishment can access InFuse. People outside of this community can access census data via:

Why am I finding different values in InFuse compared to Casweb (or other census applications)?

To prevent the inadvertent disclosure of information a number of disclosure protection methods were applied to the census outputs. One such method used was Small Cell Adjustment, this is where small counts in tables were adjusted slightly in theEnglish, Welsh and Northern Irish censuses (but not in Scotland). Tables were independently adjusted (this means that counts of the same population in two different tables may not necessarily be the same). This presented us with a challenge as we required a unique value for each count.

We dealt with this issue by selecting the value from the simplest table, which should have the lowest possibility of modification.

I’ve downloaded some data and found that for some geographies I have blank cells – why is that?

During Step 2 you will have picked your categories. We use your selection as a method of eliminating geographies where no data exists. However, the problem is that you may have picked two categories, one which is available for a certain geography and one which is not. In this situation it is possible to get blank data for some (but not all) of your geography selections.  If you require data for a certain geography, then go back to Step 2 and select different categories (e.g. if you were looking at age groups you could use 50 to 59 years old instead of 50 to 54 years old)

Why is there such strange age groups in Step 2

We spent some time deconstructing the tables, as we noticed that people often didn’t realise that similar data was in different tables. Take a look at the topic combination below for the Age|Travel to work|Sex topic combination. This example below shows that data came from two different tables – these two different tables used different age groupings (when crossed with Sex and Travel to work).

age combinations

I’ve downloaded some data from InFuse – how do I find out what table it originally came from?

This information is in the Meta file which is bundled with your results. Specifically Column B which is named CENSUS_CELLNAME. The first part of the code is the table name (e.g. ST020), and the second part of the code is the cell ID (e.g. 0003)

Where can I find 2001 census data for Scotland and Northern Ireland, and data for earlier censuses

We are working on getting this data into InFuse, in the mean time you can find this data in Casweb

When will the 2011 census data be available?

The first release of 2011 census data is now available. We need to process the data - and will include this data in InFuse as soon as we can. In the mean time it is available to download on the CDU website

How do I cite data

Take a look at the Citing Data page

InFuse is part of the UK Data Service Census Support